by Abdullah Yusufali (Translator), Sayed A.A. Razwy (Editor), Abdullah Yusuf Ali
Islam : A Short History (Modern
Islam from the Prophet Muhammad
to the Capture of Constantinople : Religion and Society
return to library
Selections from the Qur'an Sürah 2: The Cow
Translated by Abdullah Yusuf Ali
2. This is the Book; in it is guidance sure, without doubt, to those who fear Allah.
3. Who believe in the Unseen, are steadfast in prayer, and spend out of what We have provided for them;
4. And who believe in the Revelation sent to thee, and sent before thy time, and (in their hearts) have the assurance of the Hereafter.
5. They are on (true) guidance, from their Lord, and it is these who will prosper.
6. As to those who reject Faith, it is the same to them whether thou warn them or do not warn them; they will not believe.
7. Allah hath set a seal on their hearts and on their hearing, and on their eyes is a veil; great is the penalty they (incur).
8. Of the people there are some who say: "We believe in Allah and the Last Day;" but they do not (really) believe.
9. Fain would they deceive Allah and those who believe, but they only deceive themselves, and realise (it) not!
10. In their
hearts is a disease; and Allah has increased their disease: And grievous
is the penalty they (incur), because they are
11. When it is said to them: "Make not mischief on the earth," they say: "Why, we only Want to make peace!"
12. Of a surety, they are the ones who make mischief, but they realise (it) not.
13. When it is said to them: "Believe as the others believe:" They say: "Shall we believe as the fools believe?" Nay, of a surety they are the fools, but they do not know.
14. When they meet those who believe, they say: "We believe;" but when they are alone with their evil ones, they say: "We are really with you: We (were) only jesting."
15. Allah will throw back their mockery on them, and give them rope in their trespasses; so they will wander like blind ones (Tand fro).
16. These are they who have bartered Guidance for error: But their traffic is profitless, and they have lost true direction,
17. Their similitude is that of a man who kindled a fire; when it lighted all around him, Allah took away their light and left them in utter darkness. So they could not see.
18. Deaf, dumb, and blind, they will not return (to the path).
19. Or (another similitude) is that of a rain-laden cloud from the sky: In it are zones of darkness, and thunder and lightning: They press their fingers in their ears to keep out the stunning thunder-clap, the while they are in terror of death. But Allah is ever round the rejecters of Faith!
20. The lightning all but snatches away their sight; every time the light (Helps) them, they walk therein, and when the darkness grows on them, they stand still. And if Allah willed, He could take away their faculty of hearing and seeing; for Allah hath power over all things.
21. O ye people! Adore your Guardian-Lord, who created you and those who came before you, that ye may have the chance to learn righteousness;
22. Who has made the earth your couch, and the heavens your canopy; and sent down rain from the heavens; and brought forth therewith Fruits for your sustenance; then set not up rivals unto Allah when ye know (the truth).
23. And if ye are in doubt as to what We have revealed from time to time to Our servant, then produce a Sura like thereunto; and call your witnesses or helpers (If there are any) besides Allah, if your (doubts) are true.
24. But if ye cannot- and of a surety ye cannot- then fear the Fire whose fuel is men and stones,- which is prepared for those who reject Faith.
25. But give
glad tidings to those who believe and work righteousness, that their portion
is Gardens, beneath which rivers flow.
26. Allah disdains not to use the similitude of things, lowest as well as highest. Those who believe know that it is truth from their Lord; but those who reject Faith say: "What means Allah by this similitude?" By it He causes many to stray, and many He leads into the right path; but He causes not to stray, except those who forsake (the path),-
27. Those who break Allah.s Covenant after it is ratified, and who sunder what Allah Has ordered to be joined, and do mischief on earth: These cause loss (only) to themselves.
28. How can ye reject the faith in Allah.- seeing that ye were without life, and He gave you life; then will He cause you to die, and will again bring you to life; and again to Him will ye return.
29. It is He Who hath created for you all things that are on earth; Moreover His design comprehended the heavens, for He gave order and perfection to the seven firmaments; and of all things He hath perfect knowledge.
30. Behold, thy Lord said to the angels: "I will create a vicegerent on earth." They said: "Wilt Thou place therein one who will make mischief therein and shed blood?- whilst we do celebrate Thy praises and glorify Thy holy (name)?" He said: "I know what ye know not."
31. And He taught Adam the nature of all things; then He placed them before the angels, and said: "Tell me the nature of these if ye are right."
32. They said: "Glory to Thee, of knowledge We have none, save what Thou Hast taught us: In truth it is Thou Who art perfect in knowledge and wisdom."
33. He said: "O Adam! Tell them their natures." When he had told them, Allah said: "Did I not tell you that I know the secrets of heaven and earth, and I know what ye reveal and what ye conceal?"
34. And behold, We said to the angels: "Bow down to Adam" and they bowed down. Not so Iblis: he refused and was haughty: He was of those who reject Faith.
35. We said: "O Adam! dwell thou and thy wife in the Garden; and eat of the bountiful things therein as (where and when) ye will; but approach not this tree, or ye run into harm and transgression."
36. Then did Satan make them slip from the (garden), and get them out of the state (of felicity) in which they had been. We said: "Get ye down, all (ye people), with enmity between yourselves. On earth will be your dwelling-place and your means of livelihood - for a time."
37. Then learnt Adam from his Lord words of inspiration, and his Lord Turned towards him; for He is Oft-Returning, Most Merciful.
38. We said: "Get ye down all from here; and if, as is sure, there comes to you Guidance from me, whosoever follows My guidance, on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.
39. "But those who reject Faith and belie Our Signs, they shall be companions of the Fire; they shall abide therein."
40. O Children of Israel! call to mind the (special) favour which I bestowed upon you, and fulfil your covenant with Me as I fulfil My Covenant with you, and fear none but Me.
41. And believe in what I reveal, confirming the revelation which is with you, and be not the first to reject Faith therein, nor sell My Signs for a small price; and fear Me, and Me alone.
42. And cover not Truth with falsehood, nor conceal the Truth when ye know (what it is).
43. And be steadfast in prayer; practise regular charity; and bow down your heads with those who bow down (in worship).
44. Do ye enjoin right conduct on the people, and forget (To practise it) yourselves, and yet ye study the Scripture? Will ye not understand?
45. Nay, seek ((Allah)'s) help with patient perseverance and prayer: It is indeed hard, except to those who bring a lowly spirit,-
46. Who bear in mind the certainty that they are to meet their Lord, and that they are to return to Him.
47. Children of Israel! call to mind the (special) favour which I bestowed upon you, and that I preferred you to all other (for My Message).
48. Then guard yourselves against a day when one soul shall not avail another nor shall intercession be accepted for her, nor shall compensation be taken from her, nor shall anyone be helped (from outside).
49. And remember, We delivered you from the people of Pharaoh: They set you hard tasks and punishments, slaughtered your sons and let your women-folk live; therein was a tremendous trial from your Lord.
50. And remember We divided the sea for you and saved you and drowned Pharaoh's people within your very sight.
51. And remember We appointed forty nights for Moses, and in his absence ye took the calf (for worship), and ye did grievous wrong.
52. Even then We did forgive you; there was a chance for you to be grateful.
53. And remember We gave Moses the Scripture and the Criterion (Between right and wrong): There was a chance for you to be guided aright.
54. And remember
Moses said to his people: "O my people! Ye have indeed wronged yourselves
by your worship of the calf: So turn (in repentance) to your Maker, and
slay yourselves (the wrong-doers); that will be better for you in the sight
of your Maker."
55. And remember
ye said: "O Moses! We shall never believe in thee until we see Allah manifestly,"
but ye were dazed with
56. Then We raised you up after your death: Ye had the chance to be grateful.
57. And We
gave you the shade of clouds and sent down to you Manna and quails, saying:
"Eat of the good things We have
58. And remember
We said: "Enter this town, and eat of the plenty therein as ye wish; but
enter the gate with humility, in posture
59. But the
transgressors changed the word from that which had been given them; so
We sent on the transgressors a plague from
60. And remember
Moses prayed for water for his people; We said: "Strike the rock with thy
staff." Then gushed forth therefrom
61. And remember
ye said: "O Moses! we cannot endure one kind of food (always); so beseech
thy Lord for us to produce for us
who believe (in the Qur'an), and those who follow the Jewish (scriptures),
and the Christians and the Sabians,- any who
63. And remember
We took your covenant and We raised above you (The towering height) of
Mount (Sinai) : (Saying): "Hold
64. But ye turned back thereafter: Had it not been for the Grace and Mercy of Allah to you, ye had surely been among the lost.
65. And well
ye knew those amongst you who transgressed in the matter of the Sabbath:
We said to them: "Be ye apes, despised
66. So We made it an example to their own time and to their posterity, and a lesson to those who fear Allah.
67. And remember
Moses said to his people: "(Allah) commands that ye sacrifice a heifer."
They said: "Makest thou a
said: "Beseech on our behalf Thy Lord to make plain to us what (heifer)
it is!" He said; "He says: The heifer should be
said: "Beseech on our behalf Thy Lord to make plain to us Her colour."
He said: "He says: A fawn-coloured heifer, pure
said: "Beseech on our behalf Thy Lord to make plain to us what she is:
To us are all heifers alike: We wish indeed for
71. He said:
"He says: A heifer not trained to till the soil or water the fields; sound
and without blemish." They said: "Now hast
ye slew a man and fell into a dispute among yourselves as to the crime:
But Allah was to bring forth what ye did
73. So We
said: "Strike the (body) with a piece of the (heifer)." Thus Allah bringeth
the dead to life and showeth you His Signs:
were your hearts hardened: They became like a rock and even worse in hardness.
For among rocks there are some
75. Can ye
(o ye men of Faith) entertain the hope that they will believe in you?-
Seeing that a party of them heard the Word of
when they meet the men of Faith, they say: "We believe": But when they
meet each other in private, they say: "Shall
77. Know they not that Allah knoweth what they conceal and what they reveal?
78. And there
are among them illiterates, who know not the Book, but (see therein their
own) desires, and they do nothing but
woe to those who write the Book with their own hands, and then say:"This
is from Allah," to traffic with it for miserable
80. And they
say: "The Fire shall not touch us but for a few numbered days:" Say: "Have
ye taken a promise from Allah, for He
those who seek gain in evil, and are girt round by their sins,- they are
companions of the Fire: Therein shall they abide
82. But those who have faith and work righteousness, they are companions of the Garden: Therein shall they abide (For ever).
83. And remember
We took a covenant from the Children of Israel (to this effect): Worship
none but Allah. treat with kindness
84. And remember
We took your covenant (to this effect): Shed no blood amongst you, nor
turn out your own people from your
this it is ye, the same people, who slay among yourselves, and banish a
party of you from their homes; assist (Their
are the people who buy the life of this world at the price of the Hereafter:
their penalty shall not be lightened nor shall
87. We gave
Moses the Book and followed him up with a succession of apostles; We gave
Jesus the son of Mary Clear (Signs) and
say, "Our hearts are the wrappings (which preserve Allah.s Word: we need
no more)." Nay, Allah.s curse is on them for
89. And when
there comes to them a Book from Allah, confirming what is with them,- although
from of old they had prayed for
is the price for which they have sold their souls, in that they deny (the
revelation) which Allah has sent down, in
it is said to them, "Believe in what Allah Hath sent down, "they say, "We
believe in what was sent down to us:" yet they
92. There came to you Moses with clear (Signs); yet ye worshipped the calf (Even) after that, and ye did behave wrongfully.
93. And remember
We took your covenant and We raised above you (the towering height) of
Mount (Sinai): (Saying): "Hold
94. Say: "If the last Home, with Allah, be for you specially, and not for anyone else, then seek ye for death, if ye are sincere."
95. But they
will never seek for death, on account of the (sins) which their hands have
sent on before them. and Allah is
wilt indeed find them, of all people, most greedy of life,-even more than
the idolaters: Each one of them wishes He could
Whoever is an enemy to Gabriel-for he brings down the (revelation) to thy
heart by Allah.s will, a confirmation of what
is an enemy to Allah and His angels and apostles, to Gabriel and Michael,-
Lo! Allah is an enemy to those who reject
99. We have sent down to thee Manifest Signs (ayat); and none reject them but those who are perverse.
100. Is it
not (the case) that every time they make a covenant, some party among them
throw it aside?- Nay, Most of them are
when there came to them an apostle from Allah, confirming what was with
them, a party of the people of the Book threw
what the evil ones gave out (falsely) against the power of Solomon: the
blasphemers Were, not Solomon, but
103. If they had kept their Faith and guarded themselves from evil, far better had been the reward from their Lord, if they but knew!
104. O ye
of Faith! Say not (to the Messenger. words of ambiguous import, but words
of respect; and hearken (to him): To those
105. It is
never the wish of those without Faith among the People of the Book, nor
of the Pagans, that anything good should come
of Our revelations do We abrogate or cause to be forgotten, but We substitute
something better or similar: Knowest thou
thou not that to Allah belongeth the dominion of the heavens and the earth?
And besides Him ye have neither patron
ye question your Messenger as Moses was questioned of old? but whoever
changeth from Faith to Unbelief, Hath
a number of the People of the Book wish they could Turn you (people) back
to infidelity after ye have believed, from
be steadfast in prayer and regular in charity: And whatever good ye send
forth for your souls before you, ye shall find it
they say: "None shall enter Paradise unless he be a Jew or a Christian."
Those are their (vain) desires. Say: "Produce
submits His whole self to Allah and is a doer of good,- He will get his
reward with his Lord; on such shall be
Jews say: "The Christians have naught (to stand) upon; and the Christians
say: "The Jews have naught (To stand) upon."
who is more unjust than he who forbids that in places for the worship of
Allah, Allah.s name should be
115. To Allah
belong the east and the West: Whithersoever ye turn, there is the presence
of Allah. For Allah is all-Pervading,
say: "(Allah) hath begotten a son" :Glory be to Him.-Nay, to Him belongs
all that is in the heavens and on earth:
117. To Him is due the primal origin of the heavens and the earth: When He decreeth a matter, He saith to it: "Be," and it is.
those without knowledge: "Why speaketh not Allah unto us? or why cometh
not unto us a Sign?" So said the people
We have sent thee in truth as a bearer of glad tidings and a warner: But
of thee no question shall be asked of the
will the Jews or the Christians be satisfied with thee unless thou follow
their form of religion. Say: "The Guidance of
to whom We have sent the Book study it as it should be studied: They are
the ones that believe therein: Those who
122. O Children
of Israel! call to mind the special favour which I bestowed upon you, and
that I preferred you to all others (for My
guard yourselves against a-Day when one soul shall not avail another, nor
shall compensation be accepted from her nor
remember that Abraham was tried by his Lord with certain commands, which
he fulfilled: He said: "I will make thee an
We made the House a place of assembly for men and a place of safety; and
take ye the station of Abraham as a
remember Abraham said: "My Lord, make this a City of Peace, and feed its
people with fruits,-such of them as believe in
remember Abraham and Isma'il raised the foundations of the House (With
this prayer): "Our Lord! Accept (this service)
Lord! make of us Muslims, bowing to Thy (Will), and of our progeny a people
Muslim, bowing to Thy (will); and show
Lord! send amongst them an Messenger of their own, who shall rehearse Thy
Signs to them and instruct them in scripture
who turns away from the religion of Abraham but such as debase their souls
with folly? Him We chose and rendered
131. Behold! his Lord said to him: "Bow (thy will to Me):" He said: "I bow (my will) to the Lord and Cherisher of the Universe."
this was the legacy that Abraham left to his sons, and so did Jacob; "Oh
my sons! Allah hath chosen the Faith for you;
ye witnesses when death appeared before Jacob? Behold, he said to his sons:
"What will ye worship after me?" They
was a people that hath passed away. They shall reap the fruit of what they
did, and ye of what ye do! Of their merits
say: "Become Jews or Christians if ye would be guided (To salvation)."
Say thou: "Nay! (I would rather) the Religion
ye: "We believe in Allah, and the revelation given to us, and to Abraham,
Isma'il, Isaac, Jacob, and the Tribes, and that
137. So if
they believe as ye believe, they are indeed on the right path; but if they
turn back, it is they who are in schism; but Allah
138. (Our religion is) the Baptism of Allah. And who can baptize better than Allah. And it is He Whom we worship.
Will ye dispute with us about Allah, seeing that He is our Lord and your
Lord; that we are responsible for our doings
140. Or do
ye say that Abraham, Isma'il Isaac, Jacob and the Tribes were Jews or Christians?
Say: Do ye know better than Allah.
was a people that hath passed away. They shall reap the fruit of what they
did, and ye of what ye do! Of their merits
fools among the people will say: "What hath turned them from the Qibla
to which they were used?" Say: To Allah belong
have We made of you an Ummat justly balanced, that ye might be witnesses
over the nations, and the Messenger a
144. We see
the turning of thy face (for guidance to the heavens: now Shall We turn
thee to a Qibla that shall please thee. Turn then
if thou wert to bring to the people of the Book all the Signs (together),
they would not follow Thy Qibla; nor art thou
people of the Book know this as they know their own sons; but some of them
conceal the truth which they themselves
147. The Truth is from thy Lord; so be not at all in doubt.
148. To each
is a goal to which Allah turns him; then strive together (as in a race)
Towards all that is good. Wheresoever ye are,
whencesoever Thou startest forth, turn Thy face in the direction of the
sacred Mosque; that is indeed the truth from the
150. So from
whencesoever Thou startest forth, turn Thy face in the direction of the
sacred Mosque; and wheresoever ye are, Turn
151. A similar
(favour have ye already received) in that We have sent among you an Messenger
of your own, rehearsing to you
152. Then do ye remember Me; I will remember you. Be grateful to Me, and reject not Faith.
153. O ye who believe! seek help with patient perseverance and prayer; for Allah is with those who patiently persevere.
154. And say not of those who are slain in the way of Allah. "They are dead." Nay, they are living, though ye perceive (it) not.
155. Be sure
we shall test you with something of fear and hunger, some loss in goods
or lives or the fruits (of your toil), but give
156. Who say, when afflicted with calamity: "To Allah We belong, and to Him is our return":-
157. They are those on whom (Descend) blessings from Allah, and Mercy, and they are the ones that receive guidance.
Safa and Marwa are among the Symbols of Allah. So if those who visit the
House in the Season or at other times,
who conceal the clear (Signs) We have sent down, and the Guidance, after
We have made it clear for the people in the
those who repent and make amends and openly declare (the Truth): To them
I turn; for I am Oft-returning, Most
161. Those who reject Faith, and die rejecting,- on them is Allah.s curse, and the curse of angels, and of all mankind;
162. They will abide therein: Their penalty will not be lightened, nor will respite be their (lot).
163. And your Allah is One Allah. There is no god but He, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
in the creation of the heavens and the earth; in the alternation of the
night and the day; in the sailing of the ships
there are men who take (for worship) others besides Allah, as equal (with
Allah.: They love them as they should love
would those who are followed clear themselves of those who follow (them)
: They would see the penalty, and all
those who followed would say: "If only We had one more chance, We would
clear ourselves of them, as they have
168. O ye
people! Eat of what is on earth, Lawful and good; and do not follow the
footsteps of the evil one, for he is to you an
169. For he commands you what is evil and shameful, and that ye should say of Allah that of which ye have no knowledge.
it is said to them: "Follow what Allah hath revealed:" They say: "Nay!
we shall follow the ways of our fathers." What!
parable of those who reject Faith is as if one were to shout Like a goat-herd,
to things that listen to nothing but calls and
172. O ye who believe! Eat of the good things that We have provided for you, and be grateful to Allah, if it is Him ye worship.
173. He hath
only forbidden you dead meat, and blood, and the flesh of swine, and that
on which any other name hath been invoked
who conceal Allah.s revelations in the Book, and purchase for them a miserable
profit,- they swallow into themselves
are the ones who buy Error in place of Guidance and Torment in place of
Forgiveness. Ah! what boldness (They show)
doom is) because Allah sent down the Book in truth but those who seek causes
of dispute in the Book are in a schism
177. It is
not righteousness that ye turn your faces Towards east or West; but it
is righteousness- to believe in Allah and the Last
178. O ye
who believe! the law of equality is prescribed to you in cases of murder:
the free for the free, the slave for the slave, the
179. In the Law of Equality there is (saving of) Life to you, o ye men of understanding; that ye may restrain yourselves.
180. It is
prescribed, when death approaches any of you, if he leave any goods that
he make a bequest to parents and next of kin,
181. If anyone
changes the bequest after hearing it, the guilt shall be on those who make
the change. For Allah hears and knows
if anyone fears partiality or wrong-doing on the part of the testator,
and makes peace between (The parties concerned),
183. O ye who believe! Fasting is prescribed to you as it was prescribed to those before you, that ye may (learn) self-restraint,-
for a fixed number of days; but if any of you is ill, or on a journey,
the prescribed number (Should be made up) from
is the (month) in which was sent down the Qur'an, as a guide to mankind,
also clear (Signs) for guidance and
My servants ask thee concerning Me, I am indeed close (to them): I listen
to the prayer of every suppliant when he
to you, on the night of the fasts, is the approach to your wives. They
are your garments and ye are their garments.
do not eat up your property among yourselves for vanities, nor use it as
bait for the judges, with intent that ye may eat up
ask thee concerning the New Moons. Say: They are but signs to mark fixed
periods of time in (the affairs of) men, and
190. Fight in the cause of Allah those who fight you, but do not transgress limits; for Allah loveth not transgressors.
slay them wherever ye catch them, and turn them out from where they have
Turned you out; for tumult and oppression are
192. But if they cease, Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful.
fight them on until there is no more Tumult or oppression, and there prevail
justice and faith in Allah. but if they cease,
prohibited month for the prohibited month,- and so for all things prohibited,-
there is the law of equality. If then any one
spend of your substance in the cause of Allah, and make not your own hands
contribute to (your) destruction; but do
complete the Hajj or 'umra in the service of Allah. But if ye are prevented
(From completing it), send an offering for
Hajj are the months well known. If any one undertakes that duty therein,
Let there be no obscenity, nor wickedness, nor
198. It is
no crime in you if ye seek of the bounty of your Lord (during pilgrimage).
Then when ye pour down from (Mount) Arafat,
pass on at a quick pace from the place whence it is usual for the multitude
so to do, and ask for Allah.s forgiveness. For
200. So when
ye have accomplished your holy rites, celebrate the praises of Allah, as
ye used to celebrate the praises of your
there are men who say: "Our Lord! Give us good in this world and good in
the Hereafter, and defend us from the torment
202. To these will be allotted what they have earned; and Allah is quick in account.
the praises of Allah during the Appointed Days. But if any one hastens
to leave in two days, there is no blame on
is the type of man whose speech about this world's life May dazzle thee,
and he calls Allah to witness about what is in
he turns his back, His aim everywhere is to spread mischief through the
earth and destroy crops and cattle. But Allah
it is said to him, "Fear Allah., He is led by arrogance to (more) crime.
Enough for him is Hell;-An evil bed indeed (To
207. And there is the type of man who gives his life to earn the pleasure of Allah. And Allah is full of kindness to (His) devotees.
208. O ye
who believe! Enter into Islam whole-heartedly; and follow not the footsteps
of the evil one; for he is to you an avowed
209. If ye backslide after the clear (Signs) have come to you, then know that Allah is Exalted in Power, Wise.
they wait until Allah comes to them in canopies of clouds, with angels
(in His train) and the question is (thus) settled?
the Children of Israel how many clear (Signs) We have sent them. But if
any one, after Allah.s favour has come to him,
life of this world is alluring to those who reject faith, and they scoff
at those who believe. But the righteous will be
was one single nation, and Allah sent Messengers with glad tidings and
warnings; and with them He sent the Book in
214. Or do
ye think that ye shall enter the Garden (of bliss) without such (trials)
as came to those who passed away before you?
ask thee what they should spend (In charity). Say: Whatever ye spend that
is good, is for parents and kindred and
is prescribed for you, and ye dislike it. But it is possible that ye dislike
a thing which is good for you, and that ye
ask thee concerning fighting in the Prohibited Month. Say: "Fighting therein
is a grave (offence); but graver is it in the
who believed and those who suffered exile and fought (and strove and struggled)
in the path of Allah,- they have the
ask thee concerning wine and gambling. Say: "In them is great sin, and
some profit, for men; but the sin is greater than
bearings) on this life and the Hereafter. They ask thee concerning orphans.
Say: "The best thing to do is what is for
221. Do not
marry unbelieving women (idolaters), until they believe: A slave woman
who believes is better than an unbelieving
ask thee concerning women's courses. Say: They are a hurt and a pollution:
So keep away from women in their courses,
wives are as a tilth unto you; so approach your tilth when or how ye will;
but do some good act for your souls
make not Allah.s (name) an excuse in your oaths against doing good, or
acting rightly, or making peace between persons;
will not call you to account for thoughtlessness in your oaths, but for
the intention in your hearts; and He is
those who take an oath for abstention from their wives, a waiting for four
months is ordained; if then they return, Allah is
227. But if their intention is firm for divorce, Allah heareth and knoweth all things.
women shall wait concerning themselves for three monthly periods. Nor is
it lawful for them to hide what Allah
229. A divorce
is only permissible twice: after that, the parties should either hold Together
on equitable terms, or separate with
230. So if
a husband divorces his wife (irrevocably), He cannot, after that, re-marry
her until after she has married another
ye divorce women, and they fulfil the term of their ('Iddat), either take
them back on equitable terms or set them free on
ye divorce women, and they fulfil the term of their ('Iddat), do not prevent
them from marrying their (former) husbands,
mothers shall give such to their offspring for two whole years, if the
father desires to complete the term. But he shall bear
234. If any
of you die and leave widows behind, they shall wait concerning themselves
four months and ten days: When they have
is no blame on you if ye make an offer of betrothal or hold it in your
hearts. Allah knows that ye cherish them in your
is no blame on you if ye divorce women before consummation or the fixation
of their dower; but bestow on them (A
if ye divorce them before consummation, but after the fixation of a dower
for them, then the half of the dower (Is due to
238. Guard strictly your (habit of) prayers, especially the Middle Prayer; and stand before Allah in a devout (frame of mind).
239. If ye
fear (an enemy), pray on foot, or riding, (as may be most convenient),
but when ye are in security, celebrate Allah.s
of you who die and leave widows should bequeath for their widows a year's
maintenance and residence; but if they
241. For divorced women Maintenance (should be provided) on a reasonable (scale). This is a duty on the righteous.
242. Thus doth Allah Make clear His Signs to you: In order that ye may understand.
thou not Turn by vision to those who abandoned their homes, though they
were thousands (In number), for fear of death?
244. Then fight in the cause of Allah, and know that Allah Heareth and knoweth all things.
is he that will loan to Allah a beautiful loan, which Allah will double
unto his credit and multiply many times? It is
thou not Turned thy vision to the Chiefs of the Children of Israel after
(the time of) Moses? they said to a prophet (That
Prophet said to them: "(Allah) hath appointed Talut as king over you."
They said: "How can he exercise authority over
(further) their Prophet said to them: "A Sign of his authority is that
there shall come to you the Ark of the covenant, with
Talut set forth with the armies, he said: "(Allah) will test you at the
stream: if any drinks of its water, He goes not with
they advanced to meet Goliath and his forces, they prayed: "Our Lord! Pour
out constancy on us and make our steps
251. By Allah.s
will they routed them; and David slew Goliath; and Allah gave him power
and wisdom and taught him whatever
252. These are the Signs of Allah. we rehearse them to thee in truth: verily Thou art one of the apostles.
apostles We endowed with gifts, some above others: To one of them Allah
spoke; others He raised to degrees (of
254. O ye
who believe! Spend out of (the bounties) We have provided for you, before
the Day comes when no bargaining (Will
There is no god but He,-the Living, the Self-subsisting, Eternal. No slumber
can seize Him nor sleep. His are all things
there be no compulsion in religion: Truth stands out clear from Error:
whoever rejects evil and believes in Allah hath
is the Protector of those who have faith: from the depths of darkness He
will lead them forth into light. Of those who
thou not Turned thy vision to one who disputed with Abraham About his Lord,
because Allah had granted him power?
259. Or (take)
the similitude of one who passed by a hamlet, all in ruins to its roofs.
He said: "Oh! how shall Allah bring it (ever)
Abraham said: "My Lord! Show me how Thou givest life to the dead." He said:
"Dost thou not then believe?" He
parable of those who spend their substance in the way of Allah is that
of a grain of corn: it groweth seven ears, and each
who spend their substance in the cause of Allah, and follow not up their
gifts with reminders of their generosity or with
words and the covering of faults are better than charity followed by injury.
Allah is free of all wants, and He is
264. O ye
who believe! cancel not your charity by reminders of your generosity or
by injury,- like those who spend their substance
the likeness of those who spend their substance, seeking to please Allah
and to strengthen their souls, is as a garden, high
any of you wish that he should have a garden with date-palms and vines
and streams flowing underneath, and all kinds
267. O ye
who believe! Give of the good things which ye have (honourably) earned,
and of the fruits of the earth which We have
Evil one threatens you with poverty and bids you to conduct unseemly. Allah
promiseth you His forgiveness and bounties.
269. He granteth
wisdom to whom He pleaseth; and he to whom wisdom is granted receiveth
indeed a benefit overflowing; but
270. And whatever ye spend in charity or devotion, be sure Allah knows it all. But the wrong-doers have no helpers.
271. If ye
disclose (acts of) charity, even so it is well, but if ye conceal them,
and make them reach those (really) in need, that is
272. It is
not required of thee (O Messenger., to set them on the right path, but
Allah sets on the right path whom He pleaseth.
is) for those in need, who, in Allah.s cause are restricted (from travel),
and cannot move about in the land, seeking
who (in charity) spend of their goods by night and by day, in secret and
in public, have their reward with their Lord: on
who devour usury will not stand except as stand one whom the Evil one by
his touch Hath driven to madness. That is
will deprive usury of all blessing, but will give increase for deeds of
charity: For He loveth not creatures ungrateful
who believe, and do deeds of righteousness, and establish regular prayers
and regular charity, will have their reward
278. O ye who believe! Fear Allah, and give up what remains of your demand for usury, if ye are indeed believers.
279. If ye
do it not, Take notice of war from Allah and His Messenger. But if ye turn
back, ye shall have your capital sums: Deal
280. If the
debtor is in a difficulty, grant him time Till it is easy for him to repay.
But if ye remit it by way of charity, that is best for
fear the Day when ye shall be brought back to Allah. Then shall every soul
be paid what it earned, and none shall be
282. O ye who believe! When ye deal with each other, in transactions involving future obligations in a fixed period of time, reduce them to writing Let a scribe write down faithfully as between the parties: let not the scribe refuse to write: as Allah Has taught him, so let him write. Let him who incurs the liability dictate, but let him fear His Lord Allah, and not diminish aught of what he owes. If they party liable is mentally deficient, or weak, or unable Himself to dictate, Let his guardian dictate faithfully, and get two witnesses, out of your own men, and if there are not two men, then a man and two women, such as ye choose, for witnesses, so that if one of them errs, the other can remind her. The witnesses should not refuse when they are called on (For evidence). Disdain not to reduce to writing (your contract) for a future period, whether it be small or big: it is juster in the sight of Allah, More suitable as evidence, and more convenient to prevent doubts among yourselves but if it be a transaction which ye carry out on the spot among yourselves, there is no blame on you if ye reduce it not to writing. But take witness whenever ye make a commercial contract; and let neither scribe nor witness suffer harm. If ye do (such harm), it would be wickedness in you. So fear Allah. For it is Good that teaches you. And Allah is well acquainted with all things. If ye are on a journey, and cannot find a scribe, a pledge with possession (may serve the purpose). And if one of you deposits a thing on trust with another, let the trustee (faithfully) discharge his trust, and let him Fear his Lord conceal not evidence; for whoever conceals it, - his heart is tainted with sin. And Allah knoweth all that ye do.
283. If ye are on a journey, and cannot find a scribe, a pledge with possession (may serve the purpose). And if one of you deposits a thing on trust with another, Let the trustee (Faithfully) discharge His trust, and let him fear his Lord. Conceal not evidence; for whoever conceals it,- His heart is tainted with sin. And Allah Knoweth all that ye do.
284. To Allah belongeth all that is in the heavens and on earth. Whether ye show what is in your minds or conceal it, Allah Calleth you to account for it. He forgiveth whom He pleaseth, and punisheth whom He pleaseth, for Allah hath power over all things.
285. The Messenger believeth in what hath been revealed to him from his Lord, as do the men of faith. Each one (of them) believeth in Allah, His angels, His books, and His apostles. "We make no distinction (they say) between one and another of His apostles." And they say: "We hear, and we obey: (We seek) Thy forgiveness, our Lord, and to Thee is the end of all journeys."
286. On no soul doth Allah Place a burden greater than it can bear. It gets every good that it earns, and it suffers every ill that it earns. (Pray:) "Our Lord! Condemn us not if we forget or fall into error; our Lord! Lay not on us a burden Like that which Thou didst lay on those before us; Our Lord! Lay not on us a burden greater than we have strength to bear. Blot out our sins, and grant us forgiveness. Have mercy on us. Thou art our Protector; Help us against those who stand against faith."